Many people experience dental anxiety or fear that can make even routine dental procedures stressful and uncomfortable. Fortunately, sedation dentistry offers a safe and effective way to help patients relax and feel more at ease during their dental visits.
Florida Dental Implant Center provides sedation dentistry services in Venice, FL. To ask about our services or make an appointment, please call our office at 941-484-3885.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry, also known as sleep dentistry or conscious sedation, is a type of dental treatment that involves the use of sedative medications to help patients relax and feel more comfortable during dental procedures. This technique is commonly used for patients who experience dental anxiety, fear, or have a low pain tolerance.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
- Increased comfort: Sedation helps patients feel more relaxed and comfortable during dental procedures, reducing anxiety and fear associated with dental treatments.
- Reduced pain and discomfort: Sedation helps alleviate pain and discomfort during dental procedures, making them more tolerable for patients.
- Improved dental experience: Sedation improves the overall dental experience for patients, helping them feel more positive about visiting the dentist and receiving necessary treatment.
- Time-saving: Sedation can also help save time during procedures, as patients are more relaxed and less likely to fidget or move around, allowing the dentist to work more efficiently.
- Increased treatment options: Sedation expands the range of treatment options for patients, as it allows dentists to perform more complex procedures that may otherwise be too uncomfortable for patients.
Sedation Options We Offer
There are different levels of sedation offered at Florida Dental Implant Center. Minimal sedation involves the use of nitrous oxide (laughing gas), which is inhaled through a mask and produces a mild state of relaxation. And moderate sedation, also known as conscious sedation, which involves the use of oral medication administered by a trained professional. This produces a deeper state of relaxation, and patients may have little or no memory of the procedure.
We can administer nitrous oxide to our patients in order to enhance their comfort and relieve their anxiety. After you’re seated, you’ll then inhale the gas (which is a mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen) through a face mask.
When you breathe it in, you’ll start to relax and not feel or recognize any pain. After the dental treatment is over, the nitrous oxide will be turned off, and oxygen will be administered in order to flush out any remaining gas. The effects of nitrous oxide will wear off quickly. You’ll even be capable of driving yourself home after the visit and continuing with your daily activities.
For oral sedation to work, you’ll need to take a pill the night before your visit with us. For this sedation dentistry process, you’ll be sedated but still conscious, however, you’ll be in a relaxed state and you likely won’t remember the procedure at all – you’ll just wake up to a new and beautiful smile. You’ll need to have a friend or relative bring you to the appointment and also take you home.
Are You A Good Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry benefits a wide range of patients who experience dental anxiety or fear, as well as those who have a low pain tolerance or difficulty sitting still for long periods of time. Good candidates for sedation dentistry may include:
- Patients with dental anxiety or fear
- Patients with sensitive teeth or gums
- Patients with a low pain tolerance
- Patients undergoing complex or lengthy procedures
- Patients with a strong gag reflex
- Patients with special needs or medical conditions